Sunday, January 7, 2007

Wow, what a crazy swing

Well, this weekend has been a whirlwind, that's for sure. To say I've run bad on cash the last few days would be the understatement of the century. Set over set, flush over higher flush, bluffing into the nuts, players making ridiculous calls, being chased down by ridiculous draws it's been hilarious. Actually, I can understand the rocks calling me down due to how bad I've been running. I swear, one of the regulars I play typed into chat "have you been drinking?" This due to the amount of pots I was playing (with playable hands) and folding due to missing and being outdrawn, it must've looked like I was a total lunatic. I can't even begin to imagine the times I was chased down, but it wasn't pretty.

So, on Saturday night I stared a $7500 loss in the face and a long look in the mirror was needed. I had to pull myself together so I sucked it up and ploughed straight into cash again today. Much of the same. I ended up losing just under $1000 but my play was good and I was running the opposite, there's not much you can do.

So, what do you do in the face of such adversity? IMO, this is where the strength of a person shows through. I've had some extremely tough times in my life, which I will detail in a later entry, and its given me the strength to pull through when others may not. This is the main strength of a true professional. So I decided to play the $50k Betfair Snowball freeroll that I had automatically been entered into due to my rake (I wasn't planning to before the huge loss as I couldn't be arsed). There was over 1000 entrants, so usually you would have a cat in hells chance, but tonight was different. I said before I started, that I am going to fucking win this, or minimum top 3. I played like a man possessed and was so on the money, made great laydowns, pushes, and of course, got the right cards at the right time. I got to heads up with a 4-1 chip lead but lost a 60-40 to bring him back in. I swear, everytime I had trash he pushes, and everytime I had a hand he folded. Eventually, I reraised villain all in with A9 to his AQ (I had him stacked), but a 9 on the river suddenly flushed all the bad luck I'd had away, and with it, the glory of winning a large runner MTT field and another notch under my belt. The $12.5k prize was nice too :-).

I will take a few days off now and arrange my immment move to Tampa Bay in Florida, the UK is really no place to live these days. It's not the weather or anything, but we're so fucking dull and arrogant it defies belief, Americans are much more fun and that's where I plan to spend my future, perhaps even buy an apartment (if you want to read about the state of the UK property market I suggest you read Rob's blog which is linked here).

If there's a market for the upcoming Grosvenor Bolton event (£1k buyin for C4), lump on me, I've never been so determined in my life to prove myself. No-one is getting my chips unless they hit a 1 out on the river.

Regards
JPK

No comments: