Monday, March 26, 2007

Reality

One of the hardest things I find now that I've got myself onto the poker travelling scene, is going to all these different places, having a great time and (occasionally) making nice money; then having to come back home to sunny Longridge, Preston and readjust to the daily grind.

I'm bored, in all honesty. Not with poker, but regular life as I know it. I'm now no longer satisfied living in a council house (albeit owned, not rented) in Lancashire and need to do something about it. I have been presented with an opportunity that some can only dream of: I can thereotically live anywhere in the world and still work. It's a tough dilemma, but I'm sure the likes of Rob Sherwood who cottoned onto this about a year ago, would tell me to go for it.

What's provoked this is my stay in Thailand after my cash in Goa. Rather than come home on the pathetic Thomson Fly I opted to meet my friends for a 2 week break as they'd gone to Bangkok to watch a concert (so they reckon). Granted it was a holiday, but I decided to treat myself by staying in the Metropole in Pattaya, a very nice hotel with good ADSL connection in the room. To stay in this 5 star hotel with first class amenities including food, gym, pool, laundry, cleaners et al costs around £100 a week for a stay of a month, cheaper if 2 months upwards. lest us not forget the far cheaper standard of living, the beaches, sun and general cheap entertainment as well as the ability to travel all around Asia and it's great islands for pennies, it's almost too good to be true. I don't have any responsibilities here and I'm struggling to come up with reasons to stick around.

I also have the option of being able to fly out to Tampa Bay in Florida at the drop of a hat to stay with my friend. I'm thinking after WSOP, I may split my time between Florida, Thailand and the odd short stay in the UK as well as my periodical travels on the world poker scene. In 2 years, I may not have the chance to do this, so I need to take advantage whilst I can. Of course, I have to be careful that I upkeep and maintain the same table hours I do when living in Preston which is no easy task with all the distractions of living in a more tropical climate, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

As for poker, it's on the rise here. MTTs aside, I've had a pretty shocking 2007. Some of it self-inflicted, most through bad.. *shudder*.. variance. Yesterday I had a good 'un though on the sixpaks raking in about $3k, and the cash tables seem to be grinding out a small, worthwhile profit too. The cash is more of a learning curve, especially since I'm throwing myself in at the deep end of $10/20, so I'm happy to take whatever positives I can. To be honest, the standard isn't anything to fear, the biggest threat is myself and lack of patience, but that's coming along nicely.

Anyway, just thought I'd use this entry to think aloud, and if you have any similar tales, feel free to get in touch!

Regards,
JPK

2 comments:

Posh said...

hi farrer - thanks for popping by, much appreciated.

I couldn't have outdrawn you in quite a few 'cos I didn't win very many on that table. Sadly. Watched you play a few hands after I left and you seemed to do pretty well so I guess you cheered up a bit.

I remember bluffing you once when I had complete crap on a K high flop I think - you raised pre and lead out, I min raised with nothing and you passed. And the other notable hand was the KT v 98 on J high flop blind vs blind. I called your flop bet 'cos I fancied K high had a good chance of being ahead on that board or with a view to taking it away on the turn. Turn was a K so now I do think I'm good and the river T means that I only call in case you've hit some comedy straight or some such.

Calling station? well, perhaps a little that night but as you can see from the post on my blog I wasn't in the best frame of mind to be fair. If it irritated you - well, you're better than that I think. Adapt and adjust I guess.

I didn't name you [on the blog] and the post was placed in moderate frustration with the evening's events. So - no offence intended, good to see that none appears to have been taken. Thanks for that.

Also, I did ask you on the table who you were. You didn't answer. Perhaps you missed that bit of the chat. I asked someone 'cos I don't like the idea of someone knowing me but not being open about themselves. Again - if you missed that part of the chat, fair dinkum. I asked Hops for what it's worth.

good luck and best wishes.
dibs

F-Badger said...

Hi

Give me a shout if you and hawko etc are around on thursday in Dublin.

wouldnt mind a link back to my blog too!

GL